Don’t want to be singing the blues with plumbing problems and water damage in the New Year?
Like everything within your home, the only was to ensure great results is to keep up with maintenance projects along the way. Once you ring in the New Year, keep these 10 plumbing tips in mind to ensure that your plumbing woes are kept at bay throughout the next year.
- Stop small problems before they turn into big ones. If you notice a leaky faucet, fix it right away to prevent any water damage. Be pro-active about your plumbing!
- Keep your eyes and ears peeled for any potential signs of trouble! Check your plumbing regularly for any potential problems.
- Know where your sewer valve and access is located. If your toilet backs up, you will know exactly where the plumber needs to go to fix the problem.
- Know where the primary water shut-off valve is located. This valve will turn off the water to your entire home in one step.
- Know where the shut-off valves for your various appliances are located. If one of them gives you trouble, such as a leaky washing machine, you can shut the water off to it without interrupting the water flow to the rest of the house.
- Stay on your toes during the cold weather. Freezing temperatures can wreak havoc on your plumbing, so pay attention to the forecast.
- To help prevent frozen pipes, invest in quality insulation for all of your plumbing pipes.
- If freezing temperatures are expected, open the cabinet doors under your sinks to let the warm air from your home reach the pipes – this will help prevent freezing. A little bit of preventative maintenance goes a long way in preventing disasters.
- If you do experience frozen plumbing, shut off the water to your home, then get started on warming the affected pipes. You should also contact a plumber for help.
- Make sure you have a general understanding of tackling basic plumbing problems on your own. Otherwise, keep the plumber’s number handy in case of an emergency.