The boiler is one of the most expensive and essential items in your home. To keep the boiler working safely all year round, it is important that you have it serviced regularly.
Here are four key benefits of regularly servicing your boiler
- Safety: While gas leaks are rare, regular maintenance will help avert any such incidences and keep your home/family safe.
- Energy efficiency: Regular servicing is also a great way of ensuring that your boiler uses energy in the most efficient manner and does not hike your energy bill.
- Extend boiler life: An annual gas boiler service will ensure that you can use your boiler for the longest time possible.
- Boiler cover claims: Importantly, even if you have a boiler cover, the home insurance company will require boiler service records to honour your boiler repair claim.
Frequency of boiler service
You should have your boiler serviced once a year. The best time to do this is at the end of the summer, as the boiler may have developed a problem due to inactivity. Having your boiler serviced at this time will also save you the hassle of doing without hot water and heating during the harsh winter season.
However if at any time, you notice any visible corrosion of the boiler body, water leaks from the boiler, or an unusual color in the heated water, immediately have your plumber inspect the boiler. If you have a gas boiler, ensure that you only call a certified plumber for all repairs and maintenance.
A full boiler service includes the following:
- Testing all components of the boiler
- Cleaning of the boiler pipes/ components
- Replacement of faulty parts
Boiler maintenance tips
Besides regular boiler service, a few simple measures will keep your boiler in good working condition.
- Regular testing: When the boiler is not in use, check your boiler every couple of months by running it for 10 -15 minutes.
- Call a qualified technician: Boilers are complicated (not to mention dangerous) things. Call a plumber to repair minor problems, instead of trying to do it yourself. It is safer for both you and the boiler.
- Install a carbon monoxide alarm: When boiler fuel does not burn properly, it produces carbon monoxide. Since carbon monoxide is an odorless gas, it is advisable you install an audible alarm to detect any leaks. Doing so will protect your family from potentially fatal carbon monoxide poisoning.
Incidentally, as per law, it is the responsibility of the property owner to ensure that all gas appliances installed in the house, including boilers, are working properly.
All of Your Plumbing Needs from I&C Mechanical
Our expert plumbers will be able to help you meet all your plumbing needs. Contact us today to find out about our services in Greater Boston.
Write a Comment